From ages 7 to 11, almost every other Saturday of the week, I would go to my grandparents' house in the aftnoon for lunch and stayed all the way to the night with my grandparents cousins or just with my grandparents only. I would bring over my homework to do if I had, or a book to read. Times when my cousins were around, we would play together and stuffs.
At around 5pm, my grandfather would come into our playroom to find us and asked us to go to the park to stroll. The park near my grandparents' house just built up when I was in primary school so it was all new and exciting to all of us. Back then, scooter was the most "in" thing. Haha! So funny how scooter was really the most "in" thing then and we would all fight for the scooter. But yes, we are nice kids who take turns. Anyway, so yep, every Saturday evening, we would go to the park to stroll with our grandfather. Then we'll stop by at the playground to play while he continued to walk a bit further down.
There was once when I went out to the park with my grandfather alone. I think I was in 9 years old? I was on the scooter, so I rode quite a distance then rode back to find my grandfather as he continued walking. He walked quite far ahead while I turned back and then went back to find him again. Scooter was really like cycling. Lol! Back then, I was a loser who didn't know how to cycle so scooter was the best thing. Haha! Anyway, so there was this slope. And usually, I could scoot down the slope at fast speed without falling off the scooter. But that time, I think I lost control of it and I fell down when I reached the end of the slope. There is still a scar on my knee. So at that moment, all I can kinda do was cry. Lol! I know, 9 years old isn't that young anymore but you were alone and injured, and can't really get up and move. So the only thing you can think of was to cry 'cause it was painful too. Lol! My grandfather was pretty far ahead by then. And usually he won't look back because he knew that I would catch up to him soon and he didn't have to worry. So yes, I sat there and cry and this kind man came up to me and helped me. I kinda forgot what exactly happened but he helped me up and I think I told him which direction my grandfather was at or something. Lol! 10 years ago this happened so spare my memory.
So as I walked towards the direction my grandfather was at, I saw him from a distance and his face was pretty worried. And he saw me and hurried over. After that I just remembered him bringing me to the doctor straight. Lol! The rest were kinda a blur but yea, there's this scar on my right knee to remind me not to scooter down a steep slope. Which ok, obviously after a while, you aren't scared anymore. Lol!
But yea, this was a memory I suddenly thought of when I saw my grandfather today. He was lying on the hospital bed, greatly weaken and he looks really frail. And he seems to be in a lot of pain. Seeing him like that breaks my heart. He used to be a healthy retired man, going to parks for walks and strolls with his grandchildren just a few years ago. As we grew older, we stop having time to go to our grandparents' house every Saturday. We only go once in a while and usually, we only go for lunch and either go out or go home. We won't stay at our grandparents' house until night and we won't go to the park to stroll with my grandfather in the evening. This, I pretty much regret. After awhile, my grandfather got bored of retirement and went back to work as a driver for those big trucks. I think that was when he started to have knee problems. So after he retired from that, he couldn't walk much because his knee was giving him problems. Strolling in the park was of course hard for him also.
This grandfather, he was really a healthy man. Now, he doesn't even have much strength to sit up properly. And it made me realise how as you grow older, even if you don't want to, your body slowly fails you. As much as you want to keep fit and healthy, somewhere, if you aren't careful, your body will fail you.
One thing I'm pretty thankful for is my grandmother because she is hell of a strong woman. I honestly believe that she is stronger than me. She will make it a point to keep herself healthy and occupied. She is really one woman who is leading the right healthy lifestyle as a senior citizen. I'm greatly thankful for. But today, when I saw her sitting by my grandfather's hospital bed, I can't help feeling heartache for her too. She really wasn't smiling for the longest time when I first came in. After awhile, she managed to break into small smiles as we talked. But really, it hurts me to see her looking so sad and worried. Because she is one woman who is strong like crazy. One woman who almost never get beaten down.
Tomorrow is the day when the report is out. The whole family kinda know what's happening to my grandfather except for my grandfather and grandmother. I don't know how they will both react to it. I really don't. I just hope that they will both have faith and keep the fight. I know my grandmother will but I'm not too sure about my grandfather. But I really really really do hope that he will keep the fight. Whatever he needs to fight against. He needs to fight for all of us. All his children, his grandchildren and his wife. He needs to fight for himself. Honestly, I don't know what's going to happen after. After the report comes out. I don't know what they will have to do and stuffs. But I really pray that whatever it is, it will be alright. Because, I really really want my grandfather to be around when I get married. It's a funny thing to wish for, but it's still something that I really want to, because this means that he will be around for a longer time.
No comments:
Post a Comment