I guess it just makes you wonder if things would be different if it happened in another place. For instance, if it happened in Singapore. I'm not too sure if everyone will be so willing to help. I would hope that Singaporeans will offer help gladly and promptly. But I'm not too sure if we will be like that.
I admit, one of the worst traits about Singaporeans is that we mind our own business too much. To the point where sometimes it gets selfish. We would rather not trouble ourselves than to help others in need. I'm not speaking about everyone because I still have faith in humanity and Singaporeans. There are people out there who help willingly. And not just helping people they know but also complete strangers. But I guess it's not as often as it should be? That helping others, that kindness should be a natural thing and not something that requires the government to actually remind everyone through campaigns. It's really quite sad how there are actually kindness movements in Singapore. I mean, yes, the kindness movements are for the good but for the fact that we actually need these movements to remind us to be kind, that's quite sad.
And I know I, myself, am guilty of minding my own business sometimes. But I am making a conscious effort to take a step back and look around more. To see if there are people around who may need your help. Sometimes we are so focused about our own life that we forget that someone around us may actually need our help. Be it carrying heavy items or picking up something they drop. It's all very simple acts but it goes a long way. It can make someone's day when someone who is a complete stranger actually offered them some help.
I guess what some Singaporeans are afraid of is that they get scolded for being a busybody when they offer their help to someone. But I think we should stop being afraid of getting scolded and just offer. Because I think that any help offered is better than no help at all? Even if they do not require your help, it will still make their day to know that someone is willing to help them even though they don't know who they are. That yes, there is still faith in humanity. That humans aren't all that bad and we actually have a heart that is good.
It would be nice if everyone can open their eyes and take a look at their surroundings. Be more conscious about the people around them and offer help when they feel that help is needed. A simple smile also goes a long way because yes, that one smile may be just what a person needs to carry on his or her day with a lighter heart. People need to stop minding only their own business because their own business isn't the only thing that is important in the world.
"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
- Aesop
I really like this quote. We may not be able to change the world with just a simple small act that we do but it is still something. It still makes a difference to the world in some ways. You don't need to come up with big grand inventions to make the world a better place. You don't need to be a Steve Jobs or what not. You just need to care more and be kind. Because yes, kindness goes a long way.
We just need to remember that whatever we do in life has an effect on the people around us. Be it people we know or complete strangers. And be it a small effect or a large effect. It still matters and it all depends on you to decide if you want to make it a postiive one or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment