Saturday, 28 March 2015

united as one

As I was queueing up to enter the Parliament House to pay my final respect for the man who made Singapore what she is today, I realise how efficient Singaporeans are. And how Singaporeans are really kind during such times. How everyone just came together in mourning and there weren't any complains of sorts even though the weather wasn't the greatest. People giving out water, biscuits, umbrellas. And I really admire how fast the people manage the queue. How after one day or even less than that, there was a proper queueing system. And how they adapt and adjust along the way when they realised there were more and more people going to have their last respects for Mr Lee.

It's quite amazing really. How organised everything is and I guess how everyone really just came together to help each other. It really just warms my heart to see how Singaporeans are united as one. Something that Mr Lee Kuan Yew always wanted. And when you see those in the older generation, how they really are full of gratitude towards him. For our generation, we are the product of everything that he did, so we never really been through the hardships and everything. And yea, he wasn't the PM of our time. But you still have to admit that his contributions to Singapore is really beyond words. Immeasurable. And that his love for the country and its people is huge. It's really how ironic that we learn to appreciate all that he has done for the country after his death. But I guess it's not as if we didn't know his importance to Singapore, we just didn't really know the specifics until now.

And yes, I read this article that rebuts some of the Westerns view' on how Mr Lee trade freedom of speech for economic growth and all that. And this part of the article is really something I completely agree.

"Freedom is being able to walk on the streets unmolested in the wee hours in the morning, to be able to leave one's door open and not fear that one would be burgled. Freedom is the woman who can ride buses and trains alone; freedom is not having to avoid certain subway stations after night falls. Freedom is knowing our children can go to school without fear of drugs, or being mowed down by some insane person with a gun. Freedom is knowing that we are not bound by our class, our race, our religion, and we can excel for the individuals that we are - the freedom to accomplish. Freedom is living in one of the least corrupt societies in the world, knowing that our ability to get things done is not going to be limited by our ability to pay someone. Freedom is fresh air and clean streets, because nothing is more inimical to our liberty of movement than being trapped at home because of suffocating smog. These are the freedoms that Singaporeans have, freedoms that were built on the vision and hard work of Mr Lee, our first Prime Minister. And we have all of these, these liberties, while also being one of the richest countries in the world. There was no trade-off. Not for us."

So yes, without his vision, Singapore would not have been such a safe home to many. Whenever I went overseas, this security and safeness in Singapore is always something that I will always miss and look forward to coming back. Sure, there are other places in the world with such safeness too. But of course, growing up here, this is my home. And it's really a place that I will call home for as long as I live because yea, no matter how much we complain about not having anything to do or what, it is still the best place to live and bring up your children. For me at least. I really do believe that Singapore is a good place to live in. Sure, there are some flaws here and there but you can't expect everything to be perfect. It's about learning how to deal and adjust to stuffs and making the most out of the different situations.

I guess I just hope that this unity amongst Singaporeans will continue to last for a lifetime. So that Mr Lee Kuan Yew's legacy will live on. And we will continue to protect and safeguard this nation that he spent almost his entire life to protect and look after. We cannot let him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment